Monday, March 30, 2009

State Meet

This past weekend was the Wisconsin State Men's Gymnastics Championships. Calvin competed yesterday afternoon. He had been nervous about this meet for almost 2 weeks (unusual for him).
Mama? What if I do bad? What if I mess up my floor like I did in Iowa?
You'll be fine, Calvin.
But what if I do bad?


He did fine.

He started on floor and got a score of 15.1, good for 7th place (level 5 ages 8-9):


Next was pommel, where he felt confident enough to try his flares on the mushroom, and got a personal best score of 13.8:


Then it was on to rings, where he got a score of 13.9 and 16th place:


Vault was next, with a score of 14.5, and 7th place:


His p-bars routine got a score of 14.3, which was a tie for 9th place. He took 10th place (event ties are broken by the all around score):


Last was high bar, where he got a score of 13.6, another tie for 9th place (he took 10th):


His all around score was another personal best of 85.2. Not only that, he got named to the all-state level 5 team (the top 20 boys ages 7-9, by all around score)! This means he gets a t-shirt and gets to go to a Brewer's game with his coaches. He was pretty excited about that (I know it doesn't look like it, but he always gets kinda serious when he sees me taking his picture).

I'm really proud of Calvin. I think he's done very well this season. He started learning 4 of these 6 events last June or July, and I remember tears and frustration from him last summer complaining that he'll never figure out how to do a circle on the mushroom, or he'll never remember his floor routine, or he just can't do a kip. He's come so far and has been so determined and dedicated to improving. We are all so happy and very proud of him.

ONE more meet!

1 comment:

Micki said...

Great job Calvin! It's obvious you've been working hard!