Saturday, September 23, 2006

New Toys

Look at my new toys! :)
My friend Luther gave these to me today. The treadle works, though I don't know if the timing is right and if it actually stitches.

Here is a close up of The Free machine. The drawers won't open unless the top is opened. They lock when the machine is put away. One drawer pull is missing, and some awful metal one got put on in its place.

This is all the stuff that was in the drawers. I have no idea what most of it is.

Here is the other machine. It's either called The Homemaker or The Homestead. I can't remember, and I don't want to go down the basement to double check right now. It's missing the base.

This is all the stuff that came in these drawers. I think the bullet looking thing is a bobbin case. The two little envelopes have machine needles in them.

There were also two church calendars from July and August 1980. Otherwise, I know nothing about these. On Stitcher's Guild Margie directed me to Treadle On, so I've been over there reading and researching. Any other guidance, advice, or links would be greatly appreciated. Cleaning up and using these will be a fun winter project!

4 comments:

rowena___. said...

OHMYGOSHOHMYGOSHOHMYGOSH!!!

what a friend you have!

this is going to be so much fun, learning about all the little gadgets and finding out how these machines work.

Anonymous said...

I don't know anything about your machines but I think they are both beautiful. Congratulations.
Please let your friend, Luther know I'm up for adoption. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I'm dying! I went to an estate sale this weekend, and picked up a treadle for $25! It's sitting in the garage right now, awaiting my attention. I was going to post to my blog tonight. I think mine is pre- 1920s. I'm excited to "get to know" the treadle too. Fun!

Sharon Lamendola said...

The bullet looking thing is called a shuttle and it acts as the bobbin. I inheirted a New Home Tredle machine that was my Great Grandmothers. She was a seamstress at a fancy clothing store in downtown Los Angeles, California, however, the New Home was her personal sewing machine. I have quilts that she made using that machine. I refinished the wood cabnit but have never been able to get the tension to stay stable enough to sew with it.