Wednesday, June 06, 2007

The End of an Era?

I think diapers are a thing of the past in this household.

These are the only diapers I have used and washed in the past 8 days. About 2-3 weeks ago, Connor had a little bit of a rash, so I was letting him go either nakey, or just in a diaper with no cover. First he started telling me right when he was wet, and would take his diaper off. Then he started telling me that he had to go "pee toilet!", and run in the bathroom. He stayed dry through the night. He even stayed dry on our 7 hour drive to Iowa on Memorial Day weekend (both ways!).

This is a bit bittersweet. I'm pleased he's growing up, but I've never really minded diapers. Yeah, they can be stinky, but hey, it's part of parenthood. I've never had to deal with 2 children in diapers at the same time, and I've had fairly long diaper-free time between kidlets. Diaper changes are one of the few times I have the child still and just with me. We have our little silly belly kissing and games of peek-a-boo. We'll still play these silly games, of course, but no diapers also means my littlest baby is growing up, and doing it too fast for his mama. :)

It also means a little less laundry, and I am grateful for that.

2 comments:

bfmomma said...

wow! you can't ask for a smoother transition (says me, who always had very resistant trainers!).

We still walk past the diapers in Target and M. says "we don't need to buy THOSE anymore!"

Cheryl said...

Good for you! oh, and Connor!
Foti is soooooooo resistant. I think it is because he is in pull-ups. Everyone warned me about those things!
They do grow fast, unbelievably fast.