Saturday, July 07, 2007

Lots of Gardening

This is why there has been no sewing going on -- we've been working on the yard! Last Friday (the 29th) we had 6 yards of shredded hardwood mulch and an Autumn Blaze maple tree delivered. We then spent the weekend planting, weeding, and laying mulch. This is what the backyard along our neighbor's fence used to look like (this was taken 4 years ago):

This is what it looks like now:
Most of the plants have come from friends and my mom thinning out their gardens. I somehow also managed to get it so that it's been pretty much blooming since April/May. :) That was a nice accident.
I took some close ups of the flowers blooming right now:




We also have some milkweed and have been having fun checking on the caterpillars:

Now I'll be focusing on the other side of the yard.

3 comments:

bfmomma said...

beautiful! I wish I had somewhere that milkweed would grow--monarchs are SO much fun to watch! We had some on our PARSLEY one year!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

It is beautiful! Milkweed plants are fascinating to me too by how they attract the caterpillars and then how they can play host to their cocoons. I am sure that your sons are fascinated by them too, as evidenced by the picture! Summer only comes for a few weeks a year so enjoy your back yard!

Anonymous said...

Hey Linda ~ If you want any spider wort or lamb's ear you can come on over and dig it up! Steph