Monday, September 24, 2007

Belated Birthday

Calvin's birthday was actually at the end of August. We didn't get to have a party for him, as we were on vacation. Yesterday we finally got to have some friends over for cake.
Every year Calvin comes up with some idea for his birthday cake (last year it was a chocolate creation, the year before that a 'king' cake). This year he decided that he wanted everyone to have their own little individual cake! Originally I planned to make 8 little cakes, as he turned 8, but I ran out of frosting. So we got 6 little cakes decorated with 8 chocolate chips.

I made the Darn Good Chocolate Cake batter, and first baked 8 cupcakes (the cakes are square because I have these muffin pans). Then I took the rest of the batter and poured it into a 9x13 pan. After all the cakes were cool, I cut the sheet cake into 8 pieces, trimmed them evenly, and started frosting. It was kinda fun! I used a standard buttercream frosting. The kids enjoyed getting their very own cakes!

No comments: