Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Baby Talk

Connor is 18 months old now, and I swear the nighttime needs of 18 month olds are as intense as newborns (we've had a few rough nights lately). Different, but just as demanding. I remember both of my other two sons being quite needy around 18 months, and I think it's because a big developmental jump happens. Connor is starting to talk, and has a pretty good repetoire of words:

mama -- me, obviously. I was meema for a while.
daddo -- David (daddo started with Caleb. I don't know how it happened, because we always said papa, but then one day Caleb called him daddo, and it stuck)
mao-mao -- any stuffed animal, usually his blue dog Max.
ki-ki -- the cat
ojo (pronounced as if in spanish) -- dogs, usually our dog Sonja
ma-moh -- I think this means he wants to nurse, but I'm not sure yet.
ba-ba -- ball
mine! -- self-explanatory
nana -- banana
ah-po -- apple or any other fruit that isn't a banana
hoT! (always whispered, emphasis on the T) - hot
ay-yigh -- light
na-nigh -- good night

It's hard to spell some of these phonetically. He says more words that I thought! There are other things he says, but we haven't figured them out yet.

1 comment:

Lisa Laree said...

18 months is one of my favorite baby stages! They are so cute when they start to communicate...

I don't remember 18 months being particularly difficult at night, but then it's been 8 years since I lived with an 18 month old and I may be surpressing painful memories ;)