Thursday, May 18, 2006

More Yard Work

We've had a lot of rain lately, and so the ground is pretty wet. It's been good for working in the yard, which is pretty much what I've been doing every night.

I wrote last week that a friend gave me some plants from her garden. Here is where I planted the stuff. You can see that the peonies are doing well. I think only the large bush will bloom (it's the only one that wasn't moved), but they all look healthy. Over to the right, just out of the picture, I planted two red climbing roses. The tree is lovely, isn't it? It's a redbud tree (Cercis canadensis), and is 20 years old.

The iris are starting to bloom. This one is right outside the kitchen door, and part of a large clump. I'll need to thin them out later this summer. I also have a white one shooting up buds in a far corner of the yard. I don't think the rest will bloom this year, as they've been moved. I also have a nice patch of strawberries here.

My big project has been getting rid of weeds and bushes in the back, and laying mulch. This is what this area originally looked like, and here it is after we cleaned it up a bit more. Caleb has been helping me. I really enjoy doing the yard work with him; we have some really nice talks. The back fence is going to go along the line made by the mulch. I need David to help me move that last large rock (it is REALLY heavy). We also plan to put a gate here in the back.

No comments: