Today I finished both pairs of pants. For the bottoms, I added a band that also has a casing for ribbon. This way, the boys can cinch the hems in either above or below their knees.
First, I cut a band 4.5" by the circumfrence of the hem, plus 1.5". I hemmed the short edges (3/8" turned twice). I pressed 1/2" under along one long edge. Then I stitched the right side of the band to the wrong side of the pants, using a 1/2" seam.
Next I edgestitched pressed edge down, covering the previous stitching.
Lastly, I ran another row of stitching about 1/2" away, making a casing.
The finished pants! On to the tunics!