Friday, April 20, 2007

Asian Linen Skirt

Here is the first of at least 4 summer skirts I have planned. I used New Look 6596 , which I made last summer. I've admired Beki's various skirts that she made using the Favorite Things pattern, but didn't want to pay $10 for a new pattern, so I just whacked my pattern into gores. :) I made this a 6 gore skirt, and added 2.5 inches to the length of the original pattern. I flat felled all the seams (because I ran out of black serger thread), and lined it in ambiance. This particular skirt will be quite versatile, as it looks good with my boots, my wedge heels, and some black sandals I have.

I wore it today to a Nancy Erickson lecture on jackets that was held at Bigsby's (that's also where I bought the fabric). It was a lot of fun to see all her Chanel jackets -- the construction on some of those is just gorgeous. I came home with a new copy of her 1945 jacket pattern (my pink tweed jacket is from that pattern) because the boys ruined my original one. I also came home with some beautiful fat eighths of some asian cottons. Those fat quarters and fat eighths are like crack cocaine!

Connor was not happy that I was gone all afternoon and has been on me like glue since I got home.

8 comments:

Lisa Laree said...

Oh! A sewing lecture! And Chanel jackets!! (iwillnotbejealous, iwillnotbejealous, iwillnotbejealous...)

What fun!

I've got to get my 1945 past the muslin stage...

(great skirt, too!)

suzee said...

Cute as a button - you and your sweetpea, and the skirt, too!

I love the patterns at Favorite Things. Thanks for the pointer!

Kris C. said...

I really like the look of that fabric cut into gores! Nice!

Jada said...

I like the skirt and the fabric cute.

Adrienne said...

cute fabric!!!!

Julie P. said...

cute skirt! it looks great with your H+M shirt :) and this summer you could wear it with your new/old franco sarto sandals :)

Julie P. said...

and look at connor's cute boots!! be sure to put those in the cuzzy pile :)

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

The skirt is really kewl and isn't that one of the new tops you scored earlier this year?! Nice combo. Glad you enjoyed the lecture and can't wait to see your version of the 1945.